The Reason For The Season

Sunday, January 29, 2017

I know what y’all are thinking: “Um it’s the end of January – Christmas is over!” Unfortunately that is true, however not what’s behind this post. [Fair warning: I’m comin’ in hot with scripture today. If that’s not your thing, I completely understand.]

If you know me at all, you know that I am one of THE most impatient people on the planet. One of my biggest pet peeves is when you are in the middle of a conversation with someone via text, and they don’t reply right away. It’s not so hard, right? I’m also one of those girls whose had her dream wedding planned on Pinterest since the beginning of time. But if you aren’t one of those girls, more power to you. I call myself a hopeless romantic, and I long to find my “prince charming” who will sweep my off my feet. But wait… why am I in such a hurry to rush away time? So many ladies find themselves in a season of singleness right now, myself included. But what we may not understand is that this season should not be viewed in a negative way.

I can’t even begin to explain how often I find myself sitting on my couch, either watching TV or scrolling social media on my phone, and thinking how much happier I would be with a significant other. Red flag #1! Where do we come off thinking that someone else can make us happy? Why do we think that another human being can fill this supposed void in our hearts? And why should we assume someone else would be willing to take on that responsibility?

"People don't mind doing CPR on a crisis victim, but no person is equipped to be the constant lifeline to another." - Lysa TerKeurst, Uninvited

Isaiah 61:3 “He makes beauty out of ashes.”

If I have learned one thing, it is that you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else. You are BEAUTIFUL. He created you in His image. Don’t ever harbor the thought that it is considered selfish to put yourself and your happiness first.

Something else I often find myself doing is holding in feelings of jealousy when I see other couples who are happy, particularly friends and sometimes family. Whether it’s a relationship, an engagement (hello engagement season), or a wedding post on Facebook. Red flag #2! Now how horrible is that? If I can’t be happy for my friends, how can I ever be happy? Focusing on me, and loving myself should be my top priority. Again, there is nothing selfish about that. If the people in your life truly love and care about you, they will completely understand your desire for happiness.

1 John 4:19 says “We love because He first loved us.” Wow. Powerful.

Why waste time chasing after someone who may only be interested in one thing? Doing that only runs you into the ground (no pun intended), and that’s not where you want to be. The Lord has the perfect man picked out for each of us already. He is writing an epic love story. We just don’t know it yet. This just means it is our time to learn about ourselves, grow closer to God, and focus on Him.

Psalm 37:3-4 “Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart."

"People prepared with the fullness of God in them are not superpeople with pixie dust sparkles of confidence oozing from the pores from which normal people simply sweat." Lysa TerKeurst, Uninvited

If you’re being 100% honest with yourself, this time in your life is one of the most important. Break out of your comfort zone. Do things you never thought you could or would do. Focus on growing your relationship with the Lord.  Building that trust within you and with Him will make this season so much easier. Spend time in God’s word, and talk to Him when things get hard. He is always there to lend an ear. There is nothing more beautiful than trusting in God’s timing, and deep down we know that it is perfect. Focus on Him, and have patience.

Proverbs 31:30 “Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.”

XO.
Photo Credit: Jordan Lee Dooley FB

- THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -